Monday, August 31, 2009

Sisters?

For a long time now we have been praying with Emerson before she goes to bed.  It first started with us saying the whole, "Now I lay me down to sleep....." prayer to Emerson and she would say Amen (see blog post).  Then recently, she started reciting it line for line with us (well, with Mommy, 'cause she won't let Danny put her to bed).  And even more recently, we started asking her who she wanted to pray for every night.  Her usual response is Mommy, Daddy, the grandparents, immediate family and friends, the neighbors, sometimes her Dora, and her Horsey....you know, the usual list of about 20 or so people.

Well last night, when Mimi and I were putting Emerson to bed, I asked her to pray with Mimi and me so that Mimi could hear her pray and then Mimi was going to put her to bed.  So we started in on "Now I lay me down to sleep" ....and so on and so on.  When we were finished, this is how the conversation went:

Brooke: "Emerson, who do you want to pray for tonight?"
Emerson: "Mommy and Daddy"
Brooke: "Who else?"
Emerson: "Mommy and Daddy"
Brooke: "There has to be someone else you want to pray for"
Emerson: "Mommy's sisters!"
Brooke: "Mommy's sisters? But Emerson, Mommy doesn't have any sisters!"
Emerson: "Mommy you no have any sisters?" (very inquisative)
Brooke: "No Emerson, Mommy doesn't have any sisters or any brothers either, she is an only child." (with a sad look on my face)
Emerson "OHHHHHH!!!" (with a tone in her voice that even the biggest snob couldn't emulate...a tone.like I was not cool now because I didn't have any brothers or sisters and a tone that said, you better not make me be an only child.)

Hope this isn't a hint!

No comments:

Post a Comment