Saturday, November 14, 2009

Reciting Books

Last Saturday after Tar Heel Town, Emerson and I headed home just in time for nap.  Before nap, Emerson got to pick out a book to read while she drank her milk.  I wasn't surprised when she picked the "Potty Book" for me to read to her.  In an attempt to get the potty training bug in Emerson's ear, we have been reading this book to her frequently (good thing she likes it).  Emerson and I snuggled into the chair and as she started to turn the pages of the book, she also started to actually "read" the book. 

"Mommy got me something, whatever could it be?" Emerson said.  In shock, I said, "Very Good, Emerson!"  I finished the next sentence on the page for her.  She turned the page, and I started the sentence, "I've always gone in diapers, that's what they are for." Emerson chimed in again, "But Mom says when I'm ready I won't need them anymore."  Verbatim!!

I was so shocked that she was actually reciting the book back to me.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't a fluke so we read the "Potty Book" again at bedtime and had Daddy come in to witness it all.  No Fluke here....we replayed the nap time reading. 

I will say the "Potty Book" is pretty sing-songy, but it just goes to show you how FAST kids can learn things.  Let's just hope potty training is as easy as learning the words of the book!!!

1 comment:

  1. MAYBE IT IS TIME TO CHANGE THE NAME OF THAT GAME SHOW TO "ARE YOU AS SMART AS A 2 YEAR OLD"

    ReplyDelete