Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Sign??

Just a quick blog...(not for weak stomachs or for anyone who doesn't like talk about vomit, so moms read on :) )

As I was putting Emerson to bed tonight she kept complaining about her tummy hurting.  At one point, I even got up and went into our master bathroom thinking she was going to throw up; know that if she did, it would be better to be on tile.  When I felt like I was in the clear, I moved back to Emerson's chair and continued to rock her and rub her belly as she had requested.  We rocked for awhile and then I put Emerson down, kissed her goodnight and told her i would check on her later.  Danny was on the computer upstairs, so I went downstairs to check my email on my laptop.  Of course, I turned on our baby monitor so I could hear Emerson (yes, we are still using a baby monitor with a 2 1/2 year old, to be honest, I'm not sure when I will let that one go).  About 40 minutues later, I heard Emerson cough and then Danny's voice comforting her.  Then I heard Danny calling for me (in a not so comforting voice).  Emerson had thrown up and I do mean THROWN UP!!

When I got upstairs, Emerson was in the tub with her dad by her side.  So I went in to assess the situation.  GROSS was the first thing that came to my mind.  It was everywhere, EVERYWHERE!!!  Pajamas, pillow, sheet, mattress cover, all her stuffed animals in the crib, and her beautiful non-washable bumpers all got a good soak.  And it wasn't just liquid, it was everything she had eaten today and included her dinner mile and night cap milk in a curdled form.  DOUBLE GROSS I tell you!! 

We got Emerson bathed and she was laying on our bed while Danny and I scraped, sprayed, cleaned, lysoled, and started a load of laundry on extra hot.  To make a bad situation a bit lighter, Danny said, "Maybe she was trying to tell us that she wanted a big girl bed."  Yeah Dan, maybe, but that's a funny way of showing it.  You see, Danny and I have been debating about a big girl bed for some time now.  We have several friends who have done this parenting thing before us and most of them have said, keep her in the crib as long as she will stay in it.  Big girl beds can bring a whole new set of sleeping problems (and we certainly don't need those, especially since we are in a great sleeping place right now).  Emerson has been pretty compliant about her crib, in fact, just a month ago at the beach, she missed her crib so much that she was asking to go home and sleep in her own bed.  Plus, getting a big girl bed brings issues for Danny and I too...do we buy for the room she is in now, or the one she will move into if and when we have a second child?  Do we go ahead and move her to the other room?  Too much to think about and deal with now, so the easy choice has been to just leave her in her crib.  I digress.

As I was bleaching the bathtub, Danny went in to check on Emerson who was still sitting on our bed.  I think the conversation went like this:

Danny:  How ya' feeling Emerson?  Does your tummy still hurt?

Emerson:  No (shaking her head back and forth with a very sad look on her face) Daddy, I don't want to sleep in my crib anymore.  I want a big girl bed.

NO JOKE!!!  And she hadn't heard Danny tell me, because we were in the bathroom when he did (on the other side of the house).  She said it all by herself.  A Sign?  Coincidence?  Damn, I guess internet searches for a big girl bed start tomorrow. 

As I write this, Emerson is fast asleep on Mommy and Daddy's big bed. 
We hope you feel better sweetheart.  If a big girl bed will do it, then Mommy will start looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment