Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Decluttering The Devers - January 2010

After the New Year, you couldn't open a woman's magazine, read a blog or watch an HGTV show without hearing or reading about clutter and how to get rid of it.  Every blog I subscribe to talked about some form of organization for the New Year. 

Centsational Girl
Centsational Girl wrote about Kicking Clutter to the Curb and about how to Get Organized.  She even did Five Days to a Fresh Start where she charged her readers with a de-cluttering tasks for five consecutive days at the beginning of January.






Today's Creative Blog hit the nail on the head when she talked about Organizing Your Crafty Self (hello, that is what this post is about).  Her post I Can't Stop, gave great organization tips for common household items.


Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog had some great tips in her Organization Inspiration and Tips blog post.

Amy, my neighbor and good friend even started her own way of simplifying with Simplify Sunday.

So, in the spirit of all things New Year, I decided to get myself, my family, and our house RE-organized.  You see, two and half years ago this little angel came into our lives but with it she brought some chaos and organization went out the window.  I once considered myself a pretty organized person.  My house was neat and organized, my life was neat and organized....but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  Toys have taken over my living room and bonus room, childrens clothes have taken over my guest bedroom, and trikes, wagons, and outdoor toys have taken over my garage.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for the world but it is time to bring a sense of organization back to the Dever Household.  It is time to make organization a priority again and stop putting it second or third on the list of things to do.  I want everything in our house to have a place, wait, let me rephrase that, I want everything in our house to have a correct place, an easily found place, a PURPOSEFUL place!  I want to get rid of the stacks, the junk, the piles, the bags, the not needed, the unnecessary, the never used.  I want the organization I once had BACK!!

DECLUTTERING THE DEVERS!!!

I decided to do this over the course of 2010; not as a resolution, I HATE resolutions.  (If you want to change, do it today, don't wait for the New Year.)  I decided I would take 12 key areas of our house that are problem areas and I would do one per month, any more than that would be unrealistic with our crazy lives.  Sure, there might be some months that I can get two projects done but anything above 12 will be a bonus.  So, 12 projects in 12 months.  Closets, junk drawers, bookcases, the garage, Emerson's clothes; all of them (and then some) will get an overhaul.  I want to do these right, I want to take time and I really want to make a permanent and lasting change.  I want these changes to make real improvements in our house and in our lives. 

I decided to start with a project that really needed my help; my CRAFT CABINET.  Yes, cabinet!  I am not lucky enough to have an entire room devoted to crafts (not yet at least).  So, right now I have to settle for a cabinet in our laundry room. One day, I hope to have a room in my house solely devoted to the art of CRAFTING. 

I'd take any of these!!!!







Are you drooling yet?  I certainly am.  Anyways, back to the cabinet at hand.  So my craft cabinet used to be organized but then somehow (not sure how it happened), it got to the point that it looked like this.....



Yes, I am blushing now and totally embarrassed that I even showed that to you, but I have to be honest with everyone and with myself.  Now you know why I decided to do this project first, not to mention that I have a lot of crafty projects coming up soon.  I decided to start from scratch and take everything out of the cabinet and I do mean EVERYTHING...


I bought some IKEA storage boxes during our last trip to IKEA in hopes that this project might one day take place.  I (heart) IKEA KASSETT storage boxes; they make organization so easy!!

                           


AHHHHH, do you hear the angels singing and the harps playing!!!  Look at that cabinet now.  I am so satisfied with the final outcome and I even have room to spare.  Michaels and Hobby Lobby are calling my name!!!  Everything has a place and a label.  Paint, Ribbon, Glue Guns, Supplies, Brushes, Pens, Note cards, and even an Idea Book. All of it has its own place and its own BOX.  These boxes make it easy to just pull out what you need and leave what you don't.  So Easy and soooooo ORGANIZED!!!  One project down, eleven more to go. 

                      

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! :) What an amazing transformation. I am a very neat person, but my office is an area I can't see to keep straight. It's always the dumping ground and I'm messy when I'm creating. With two toddlers, I maximize every minute, so cleaning up properly after a project doesn't always get done. Anyway, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. Love those rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so cleansing and inspiring to clear out the clutter !? Thank you SO much for the linky love, and your inspiration photos are wonderful !

    Hugs, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I like it!!! Great job!!!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete