Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hippity Hoppity Easter Treats

Lately it seems that everywhere you turn (at least on every blog I read) people are cranking out some of the cutest treats for their kid's classrooms during holidays.  I never remember taking, nor receiving, treats quite like the ones I see on all my mommy blogs.  Is it a competition to see who can be the most creative?  The most original?  Well, being the working mother that I am, I really don't have the time to be creative or original...frankly, not sure how stay-at-home moms find the time either (but we won't touch that debate right now).  So, again, with my schedule (especially this time of year) being as hectic as it is, I have decided to be a follower for our Easter treats and not a leader.  Maybe ONE day I will be the feature "cute" idea on a blog, but for now I will have to settle for using everyone else's creativity.

My "inspiration" for our Easter treats came from two of my favorite sites, How Does She? and Bakerella.
How Does She is a great blog on exactly how moms, wives, etc. get it all done.  How does she this? How does she that?  How does she cook?  How does she clean?  How does she raise her kids?  How does she balance work and family?  How does she craft? How does she dress?  How does she save?  How does she get a moments peace to herself?  Folks, it's all answered on this blog.  If you haven't seen Bakerella, hop (no pun intended) on over there.  Your mouth will water from the first word of her posts to the end.  Sweet treats and delectables is what she is all about; so talented and so creative.  She also has some of the best pictures I have ever seen someone take of food, which makes everything on her site even more tempting.  At some point, I am still going to make her recipe for Peanut Butter Cup Cake.  I just need the occasion! 

THE INSPIRATION
Originally I wanted to TRY to make these Bunny Cake Pops from Bakerella.  How adorable are they?!?!  I was probably fooling myself that I could actually make these and have them turn out to look half as
good as hers. 

Then last week How Does She? participated in the Spring Blog Hop and posted these adorable Oreo Cookie Suckers.  These seemed a bit more my speed and had the same look I was going for.  I was sold and decided these would be my Emerson's Easter treats for school.  (Funny side note:  How Does She had also looked at Bakerella's cake pops, decided they might be a bit hard, and then came up with these.  THANK YOU How Does She?)

OUR TREATS

I pretty much stuck to the way Shelley from How Does She? did her cookies but I did use the pastel colored candy corns from Fresh Market that Bakerella used for her bunnies.  I must say, although time consuming, these weren't that hard to make and now that I've done it one time, I am sure it would go much faster the next.  I am also sure that I will be making these again in some variety, shape or form for another holiday.  I've got to use all that leftover chocolate for something. 

Here are the very quick and "jest of it all" steps for these cookie pops:
Step 1 - Separate the Oreos (I actually created a Step 1A and made a small groove in the Oreo center.  It made it easier for the top cookie to sit flush on the lollipop stick and bottom cookie - see picture under the collage)
Step 2 - Melt White Chocolate Candy Melts for dipping lollipop sticks
Step 3 - Lather the cookie and stick with chocolate
Step 4 - Re-attach top cookie and place on wax paper lined cookie sheet
Step 5 - Place in the fridge to speed up the chocolate hardening process


Step 6- While the cookies are in the fridge, get all the other items prepared
Step 7 - Separate your candy
Step 8 - Melt a large amount of White Chocolate Candy Melts
Step 9 - Start dipping your cookie pops into the chocolate - make sure to try and cover the entire cookie (Note: while holding the lollipop stick in one hand, gently hit you wrist with the other hand (make sense?).  This helped to get rid of excess chocolate.)
Step 10 - DECORATE as you wish!!!  (The whiskers were the time consuming part)
(Note: I used a piece of chocolate melting bark, stuck it in a Ziploc bag, threw it in the micro, and then piped everything on with that.  I had to reach back down to my cake decorating class days and improvise for a piping bag.)



THE FINISHED TREATS


TomKat Studio Button I LOVEI also have to mention the adorable Easter gift tags that I got from The TomKat Studio (another favorite blog)...they were the icing on the cake (or cookie in this case). 

And, since we don't have school tomorrow (our typical Show-and-Tell day), I thought I would take a picture of Miss Priss with her class Easter treats, especially since she didn't get to help this time.  I did have one little helper though, big shout out to Danny for helping sort sprinkles, among other things.  Whew!!!  Long post, long project...glad it's over!!  Happy Easter, Y'all!!!

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh!!! How freakin' cute are these?! I don't know how I missed your comment on facebook until today,...but holy cute!! Can we use your pictures in our flickr group?! Let me know. Thanks for sharing. Email me at shelley@howdoesshe.com

    ReplyDelete