Friday, May 14, 2010

Mother's Day at Maple View

I didn't feel great on Mother's Day, so between sneezing, snotting and blowing my nose (Yuck!), I got to just lay around the house most of the day.  It was actually quite nice!!  Emerson and Danny let me sleep in on Sunday morning and when I finally appeared at 8:30 am (yes, that's sleeping in now), they surprised me with my Mother's Day gift.  The rest of the day they were great and let me just sit on the couch, surf the web, and watch TV.  I got a few snuggles in with Emerson here and there, but for the most part I tried to stay away from her; I didn't want to pass my cold to her (which had already been passed from Danny to me).  As many of you know, I'm not one to just sit around (I usually need to be doing something at all times), and by about 3:00 pm I was a bit stir crazy.  So I mustered up everything I had to get dressed, so we could venture out of the house for an hour or two.  I had to run an errand so while we were out, we decided to head over to Maple View Farm for their famous ice cream.  I can't believe in all my years of living in this area, I had never been to Maple View.  I constantly hear about it and had always wanted to try it.  Since Emerson is on such an ice cream kick right now, I thought it would be a great little outing that wouldn't take too much energy, out of an already energy-ridden mommy!! 

I guess since UNC's graduation was that same day and it was Mother's Day, everyone else in Chapel Hill had the same idea we did.  It was packed....and the line was out the door!!!

Check out these great sites from Maple View......truly an old fashioned creamery. 

Emerson wanted to take home some of the chocolate milk (certainly my child!!!), which I am sure was super rich and creamy!!  We passed on the milk but good to know you can buy it at anytime, along with cheese, eggs, and regular milk, all of which are fresh from the farm.

After our 25 minute wait, it was finally time to order our ice cream....Emerson decided on Cookies n' Cream (all we had to tell her was vanilla ice cream with Oreos and she was sold), I had Cookie Dough in a sugar cone, and Danny had Carolina Crunch in a sugar cone.  After getting our treats, we headed outside to the huge wraparound porch, grabbed a rocking chair and Emerson proceeded to dig in to her Cookies n' Cream.  After having a few problems with the spoon, she motioned to me to hold my ice cream....so we ended up switching and she ate my ice cream cone and I got her ice cream cup.  Not sure how that happened that she pretty much got to eat both things of ice, I got robbed, but not really....it was great to see her eat an ice cream cone and it made for even better pictures.

After finishing our ice cream, which lived up to it's reputation, we walked across the street to a field where they were offering "horse drawn wagon" rides.  Emerson immediately saw the horses when we pulled up and we promised her we would visit them when we finished our ice cream.  We learned that Jim and Jack, give rides every 2nd and 4th weekend.  Although we didn't take a ride this time, I am sure we will be back soon to take a ride on the wagon. 

Once we peeled Emerson away from the horses, it was time to head home but not before one last picture in front of the Maple View Farm sign.  I'm pretty sure this won't be the last post you ever read about Maple View....we are excited to go back one day for a visit to their agricultural center and of course, for more ICE CREAM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment