Friday, October 22, 2010

Breakfast with Roy!!



Last Friday, I woke up REALLY early to help my friend, Mary Seagroves, the Special Events Coordinator for Lineberger Cancer Center, with her annual event Roy Williams' Fast Break Against Cancer.  This is my fourth straight year helping with this event that is now in it's sixth year.  Although it's early, and although Mary and I both needed heavy doses of caffeine, to which I stopped and got us on the way, it is a great event and it's for a great cause.  I'm not sure any of us can say that we haven't been touched by cancer in some way, shape, or form.  I even had a special part of the event this year, Mary was actually my first sale with my new job.  I did the cute cinch sak you will see on the chair in the pictures below.  I think they turned out great.

As in years past, the event went great and made a lot of money for cancer research.  Brad Daugherty, former UNC and NBA basketball player and current NASCAR analyst with ESPN, did a great job as guest speaker.  The live and silent auctions raised more than $15,000 alone (by my calculations).  Mary secured some great items this year: a signed Tyler Hansbrough basketball, an opportunity to attend a closed door practice, an opportunity to sit behind the bench at a game, Michael Jordan and Roy Williams signed shoes, and many, many more.  I am so thankful to be a part of this wonderful event and hope to continue my yearly volunteering stint for years to come!!

The Sights of the Breakfast


The Cinch Sak

All the volunteers
 The Lineberger Staff
Coach Williams, Coach Guthridge, 
Eric Montross, and Brad Daugherty

The Auction Items
Woody Durham, Coach Williams, and Brad Daugherty

A horrible picture of me and Coach, but it's a rare occurence when you get this opportunity, so I took it.

(some of the photos in this blog post are courtesy of Lineberger Cancer Center)

No comments:

Post a Comment