Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Emersonisms: Caught off guard

As Moms, we don't always have the right answers, especially when we get caught off guard with questions;  such is the conversation I had with Emerson on the way home from school last Wednesday!!

Usually on December 1st of each year, my radio station automatically gets tuned to holiday music and stays put until the end of Christmas.  So, everyday on the way home from school, Emerson and I belt out holiday music. Last week's tune was Away In A Manger, to which the following lyrics prompted the subsequent conversation.

Away in a Manager Lyrics

Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray

Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to heaven
To live with Thee there


Conversation that proceeded the end of the song:


Emerson: (in a whimpering voice) Mommy, I don't want to go to heaven!
Me: Emerson, everyone goes to heaven (we hope!).
Emerson: OH!! Mommy, I want to go to heaven
Me: Well, I want you to go to, but not for a long time.  You don't go to heaven until you die
Emerson: Mommy, I don't want to die!! (more whimpering voice)
Me: I know honey, I don't want you to either.  Most people don't die until they are very old.
Emerson: (whimper is almost a cry) But Mommy, Hogan is very old. I don't want him to die!!
Me: One day he will die, but he isn't going to die soon.
Emerson: (Full on cry, tears and all) Mommy, I don't want my puppy to die.  I want a new puppy if he dies.  He can't go to Heaven.  Hogan, HOGAN!!!  You can't die!!
What's a mom to do at this point....
Me: Emerson, Hogan isn't going to die anytime soon.  We will be very sad if and when he does die, but he will go to Heaven.  
Emerson: Okay Mommy, but when he goes to Heaven, can I get a new puppy??

Poor Hogan, first she's screaming that he is going to die and then she's wishing for a new puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment