Wednesday, April 20, 2011

2011 Easter Treats

I can't believe I am finally blogging about life and not just throwing some picture on the blog for Wordless Wednesday with a one-liner.  Life has finally gotten back to normal after Beach Ball!!!  Whew!  So here's to my first "real" post in awhile....

Since my life has pretty much been a whirlwind lately with an absent husband, and the craziness that is Beach Ball.  I wanted something super simple for this year's school Easter treats this.  I saw this adorable treat on several blogs and decided it was exactly the treat I needed, simple and oh.so.cute!!!  You can find a link here at Tip Junkie.
birds nest candies on silpat

Monday night, Emerson and I set out to make these cookies or nests, if you will, for her to give to all her preschool classmates on Tuesday.  (They don't have school the rest of the week, so we had to get them done).  We didn't have much time before bath, but I knew Emerson wanted to help; good thing these are simple to make!!!  You only need three ingredients: LA Choy Chow Mein Noodles, Peanut Butter Chips (recipe calls for Butterscotch, but I'm not a big fan, so I opted for peanut butter), and Eggs for the nest.  You could use jelly beans, mini Cadbury eggs, or even Whopper Robin's Eggs...I chose Hershey's Candy Coated Eggs. Yummy!!

We melted the chips in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds until it was liquid but not burnt.  

Can you tell she's ready to start!!

We stirred the melted chips and then added the noodles.

More stirring to get everything combined and coated EVENLY!!

I then sprayed some PAM on my hands, grabbed a handful of the mixture and shaped it into a nest.  I found that one bag of chips and one can of noodles will yield about six nests!!

We then added three eggs to each nest.  A job Emerson helped with!!

Voila!!!  How cute are these???  So easy, so yummy, and so cute!!!

I had to "Brooke It Up" a bit, so I individually wrapped each one in a cello bag, and added a cute Easter card with some ribbon.  They turned are just adorable and were a huge hit with her preschool class.  I love when I find easy projects that give the appearance of slaving hours away.  HA!!!  I'm headed to the store to get more ingredients, as I'm making round two for Emerson's daycare class tonight for their Easter Egg hunt tomorrow at school.  At least I know it isn't going to keep me up 'til all hours of the morning.  Love it!!!  

1 comment: