Thursday, June 23, 2011

Emersonisms: Talking Back

I'm sure it's hard for some of you to believe, but Emerson isn't the sweet, angel we've talked about in blog posts past.  We never really had the "terrible twos" with her, but we knew the so-called "terrible threes" were right around the corner.  We saw glimpses of it here and there, but just recently we are seeing it on a daily, hourly, by-the-minute basis.  Let's just say Emerson has become, ahem, difficult (for lack-of-a-better-term).  Danny and I realize this is just a phase, but it sure is a hard one and we hope it passes SOON!!!

Here are some great examples of Emerson's recent talking back moments:  (realize sometimes, even in the heat-of-the-moment, it's hard not to break out into laughter or a grin).

MOTHER
After several back-and-forths about some issue and Emerson finally saying something she shouldn't have said or saying it in a way she shouldn't have said (I honestly don't remember what the situation was).

Me: Emerson, we don't talk to people like that.
Emerson: Well mommy you aren't people, you're my mother.

How does the saying go, folks.....I'm your mother; I brought you into this world and I can take you out!! I refrained, but I sure thought it!!

ICE CREAM
Danny: Emerson, you had a few bites of ice cream at lunch and you just had a popcicle, so we probably aren't going to have anymore ice cream tonight.
Emerson: Well, Daddy if you don't get me any ice cream I'm taking all your stuff away.
Me (chiming in): Oh really, what are you going to take away?
Emerson: I'll take your bed away and Daddy's suitcase away

Danny and I couldn't hold it in....we burst out laughing!

A MILLION DOLLARS
During a moment when we were trying to reason with her.

Emerson: But Daddy I want too!!  (not sure what she wanted to do or what she wanted)
Danny: Well Emerson, I want a million dollars but I can't have it.  You don't always get what you want.
Emerson: Daddy, here you go! (holding out her hand like she is handing him money)
Danny: This isn't real money...
Emerson: Well, I've got real money in my piggy bank upstairs!

We should have known....no reasoning here!!

I'll keep jotting these down...and I'm sure we'll have a part two to this blog soon.  At the rate we're going, it might be by tomorrow night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment