Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birdie's Golf Clinic

As many of you know Birdie (my dad) is a golf pro and I grew up around golf my entire life, that's what happens when your dad's hobby becomes his profession.  My dad would tell anyone that, had I dedicated a bit more time to practicing, I would have been a pretty good golfer.  Not sure if that's the truth, or just a dad talking.  I, instead, opted for five-days-a-week in a dance studio practicing ballet, tap, jazz, and competitive dance.  I was petrified of competitive golf, something about being out there all by yourself with the pressure all on you.  Get up and dance in front of hundreds of people, no problem...drive a golf ball off a tee, while on-lookers critique your every swing, no thank you.  I even had a superstition about driving off the first tee.  I would never drive off the first tee because I didn't want the bag boys watching...it might have had something to do with the fact that they were cute, teen aged bag boys!!  I played golf on-and-off throughout high school and sometimes in college.  Although less during college because I couldn't play for free when I wasn't in Chapel Hill.  I took golf back up before I got pregnant with Emerson and really enjoyed spending good, quality time with Danny.  A few of us girls from the Admissions Office even took lessons one summer.  I got some new clubs and had the bug again, but then little Miss Priss started growing and my big prego belly wasn't the best tool when it came to a steady, balanced swing.  Sad-to-say, I'm not sure I've picked up a club since before she was born.  I do love golf and I'm hoping it can be something Danny and I can start to enjoy again together.

Anyway, Emerson has shown an early interest in golf, something Danny and my dad are ecstatic about.
Two weeks ago, my dad called and asked me if Emerson wanted to join his Friday golf clinic for the month of September.  He had an open spot and thought she might really enjoy it.  Because our afternoons aren't filled up enough with dance, soccer, and swim lessons...we agreed, besides it was only four Fridays.  So, last Friday (9/2/11) was Emerson's first lesson and she had a blast.  Being the helicopter mom I'm sure I'll end up being (or already am), I tagged along to take some pictures.

One of my absolute favorites from the day!!

The very cool clubs and accessories provided by SNAG Golf (Starting New At Golf).  These are really neat teaching tools for young golfers.

Waiting patiently for class to start.

A few rules before we begin.

The Teacher...pretty sure Emerson is the Teacher's Pet!!

Station instruction and showing how to correctly hit the ball.

What do I do with this thing?

This looks more like how Daddy and Birdie hold the club.

Still trying to figure out the grip.

Finally making some contact with the ball.

Birdie helping out his favorite student.

Trying her hand at putting.  Her grip still needs some work, but Birdie tells me contact with the ball is first; the grip comes second.

The class was for 4 - 7 year-olds and some of the older kids were hitting real clubs and golf balls with Mrs. Sally, the former UNC Women's Golf Coach and my dad's assistant for this clinic.  Emerson didn't want to miss out on the action, so she quickly weaseled her way out of SNAG golf practice and into "real" golf practice.

I can see it now....future LPGA Champion!!  (We can only hope!!)

Emerson was enthralled with the water cooler and cone cups.

Double-fisting her cone cup and her water bottle.

Not sure if we have the next Michelle Wie on our hands but if not, at least it's an activity the whole family can enjoy.  I see many family golf outings in our future!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment